Thursday, August 7, 2008

Our Anniversary- 4 years

Yesterday was our 4 year wedding anniversary...wow how time flies! Its been 4 amazing years and I look forward to 60+ more with the man of my dreams.

Every year I think back to our wedding and have to laugh a little...

Sean and I decided to get married in Outer Banks, NC. My dad was close to retirement and I didn't want him to feel like he had to pay for a huge wedding so I thought a destination wedding would be PERFECT. Boy, was I wrong. :)

So the story begins...

Sean's mom and dad drove down with us since we were flying out of West Virgina for our honeymoon and they wanted to use our car while we were gone. At that time we had a Jeep Cherokee. I was soundly sleeping in the backseat when I heard squealing tires and woke up to us rear ending a Lexus that in turn rear ended an Expedition driven by a personal injury lawyer. We were all okay but spent several hours on the side of the interstate.

After getting that mess cleaned up we were back on our way...or so we thought. We got lost in the "ghetto"! Sean's mom got out to get our mapquest directions out of her luggage to attempt to get us back on track. We pulled back on to the interstate and when I looked behind us and all I saw was my wedding dress flying down the road as cars were dodging around it trying not to hit what ever was in the big white bag. Along with my dress went some of our luggage and a big canister of nuts...what do you think they tried to save first....my dress....NO the nuts...are you kidding me???

We finally made it to our hotel in the Outer Banks and my mom pulled in behind us. She was crying hysterically and told me that her brother had passed away, unexpected. Her, my stepdad and grandma had to turn around and head back to Indiana. They missed my wedding.

The next morning (day of the wedding) we took off to go to the florist to pick up my flowers. When I arrived and gave them my name they looked at me mortified. They said...I'm sorry Ms. Mack but somehow we lost your ticket and were unable to get your flowers here in time. I ended up carrying a small bouquet nothing like the hydrangeas I had ordered.

As we were heading to the beach house where my dad and stepmom were staying we heard the sound of thunder in the distance. Within minutes the roads were flooded! It wasn't just any storm it was a hurricane. I can't remember exactly but they thought it was going to miss the outer banks but they were wrong. As I arrived at the beach house everyone was throwing up. They don't know to this day if it was food poisoning or the stomach flu but everyone was sick. My stepmom who is a stylist was throwing up as she was doing my hair...GREAT!

Well, the beach was out of the question so we ended up getting married at Sunset Bar and Grill. In almost all of the wedding pictures there is a sysco food and budweiser semi in the background. We finally got married, which is what we came there to do.

I remember his mom saying if you can make it through this you can make it through anything. She was shocked I wasn't crying and asking for a redo. :) I just couldn't help but to laugh. Of course I would have rather had my picture perfect day but who will forget these memories. At the end of the day we were married and that is all the mattered to me.

Happy 4 year anniversary to us!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Happy 4 years you two! Have a wonderful weekend.

Huffman Triplets said...

Amazing story and Happy Anniversary. I saw your blog on the triplet connection and thought I would check it out as you were in Indiana as well.

Scott H.
Daddy to Alexa, Emily, and Madison (6-27-04)

The Posh Nosh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

That is by FAR one of the most horrendously terrible wedding stories I've EVER heard!! What perseverance you two had for sticking it out through all that craziness!! :)
What a FABULOUS story that you have to tell though!!
Happy anniversary to you both...albeit a little late. :)